What is LGBT Counselling?
Coming to terms with your sexuality, facing discrimination, victimisation or homophobic attitudes can have lasting effects. Some people suffer rejection from their families or friends and together, these experiences have the potential to cause significant emotional and psychological distress.
At The Awareness Centre, we understand the possible challenges of being lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered (LBGT) and offer a safe and non-judgemental environment in which you can explore these issues.
Depression, anxiety and low self-esteem are problems that can affect each and every one of us, yet, for some LGBT individuals, the sources of mental distress are all-encompassing. They can affect all aspects of life including self-esteem, relationships and even our career choices, all of which can have a devastating impact on health and happiness.
Counsellors and psychotherapists practicing at The Awareness Centre see many people, each with their own unique problems and issues to resolve. If you are having issues or problems related to your sexuality, then you too may benefit from counselling and psychotherapy.
Therapists at The Awareness Centre have experience in working with LGBT issues and can support you on your journey to self-improvement. They will support you with systems to cope with and challenge the problems you may be facing with an aim to help you live an authentic, full and happy life. Additionally, if you wish to combine counselling and psychotherapy with medication, we can refer you to our private consultant psychiatrist.
Benefits of Counselling and Psychotherapy for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender issues
- Confidential, non-judgemental environment in which to discuss your concerns, emotions and feelings
- Support with the difficult process of ‘coming out’ to friends and family
- Discuss issues such as low self-esteem, depression, anxiety and addiction
- Provides a safe environment to explore private matters such as sex and relationship issues
- Same sex couples therapy with experienced therapists
- We also offer support to family members who may have difficulty coming to terms with your sexuality
Counselling for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender problems at The Awareness Centre
- If you are in receipt of benefits, working tax credit, pension or are a student – £15 per session
- Low cost counselling/psychotherapy between £30-£40 per session
- The fee for this service varies between £50-£130. Some therapists are a private health care provider.