A one day CPD workshop with Anna Minogue BSc psych; MA psych; UKCP accredited
Saturday 11th April 2020
5 hours CPD
Mental health exists along a continuum from everyday pressures and stress to clinically significant mental health problems. It is not always easy, nor necessarily desirable to place hard borders between normal and abnormal mental health, but as counsellors and psychotherapists we have a duty to recognise when a specialist approach or additional support may be required, along with a duty to manage risks or crises when they arise.
This workshop provides an overview and refresher in recognising signs of common and severe mental health problems, the practical clinical issues that may arise in consequence, the treatment pathways and recommended therapeutic approaches that should be considered. By the end of this workshop you will be better able to recognise signs of common conditions such as the anxiety disorders and depressive conditions; recognise signs of personality disorders and severe conditions including bipolar disorders, schizophrenia spectrum disorders and related conditions; identify the main medical and psycho-social explanatory models of these mental health problems; Identify the treatment pathways and recommended therapies for different mental health problems; describe the principles of self-care and recovery-oriented approaches to managing mental health.
- The continuum of mental health: pressure, stress, anxiety and beyond
- Defining good mental health and resilience
- Stigma and the problem of disclosure: the pros and cons of talking about poor mental health
- Mental health in the workplace
- Recognising common mental health problems: anxiety disorders, different types of depression, eating problems
- Recognising personality disorder in its various forms
- Recognising severe problems: bipolar disorder and psychosis
- Treatment pathways for common and severe conditions
- Medication issues to be aware of: intended and unintended side effects
- Recommended therapies for the mental health conditions
- Managing mental health: principles of self-care and recovery
- Using a wellness plan to manage mental health and plan for crisis
During the day, there will be information sharing, discussion, practical exercises, case studies, handouts and a resource list provided.
For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 020 8673 4545.
Facilitator: Anna Minogue
Anna Minogue is a UKCP Integrative psychotherapist and supervisor with 15 years clinical practice and 25 years hands-on experience in mental health support work and management, including 10 years in mental health crisis services. Anna runs a private practice in North London and is a senior trainer and consultant for Mind, the mental health charity.